Wednesday, 30 December 2020

Christmas 2020 style

 Christmas 2020 style.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

For 2020 it was the best it could have been. 

Tier 4 came into force , as predicted, for Sussex, beginning on Boxing Day. Our Christmas Day was saved.  left as the last bastion of life as we knew it. 

For me this was a joyous reprieve. I only had this one day . I had already lost my Boxing Day plans when London s Christmas was summarily cancelled,  confining my youngest son to his home. But for hundreds of others, family plans crumbled into dust.   

I had the best Christmas possible and I know how lucky I was. 



My wonderful daughter is in our "bubble" and was with us throughout. Christmas day was bathed in sunshine, truly glorious in every possible way. The three of us joined my eldest son, his wife and two daughters for this cherished family time. A beautiful day to cherish forever.

For a few very, very special hours life was "normal". Presents were opened, food was consumed in vast quantities, and, best of all, hugs were plentiful and so very, very precious.

Then, nothing. Only the memories. My daughter and my husband keep me occupied. We walk, we talk, we enjoy each others company whilst they have time away from work. We appreciate how lucky we are to be healthy and live surrounded by stunning countryside. 

There has been a trade deal of sorts cobbled together with the EU. Could be worst, the threat of no deal was looming too close for comfort. The Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine has been approved. Although only 62% effective it is easy to store, easy to administer and based on existing science. 

Glimmers of light at a time when Covid surrounds us like a dark fog. Today the total death count is 981. Yesterday the UK recorded over 53,000 new cases, more than all of the European countries added together. How have this Government got this so wrong. 

Hospitals are straining at the seams but our new Nightingale hospitals stand empty through lack of staff. People are dying in ambulances waiting to be treated. Terrifying. Am I scared? Yes. 

Tomorrow is the last day of 2020. It has been the worst year of my life. I dare not hope for 2021 beyond that I and those I love stay healthy. Please let us stay well, that is all that matters. 


To be continued:

Coronavirus Diaries Part 2 2021



No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2020 style

  Christmas 2020 style. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. For 2020 it was the best it could have been.  Tier 4 came into ...