Happy Times
Happy times. Joyous family times filled with love and laughter. A dream come true after the bleak emptiness of the long lockdown weeks.
My earlier 'high anxiety' at the rapid easing of restrictions has faded slowly but surely into the background of my mind. It has not completely gone away. We all live with the knowledge this pandemic is not over yet. Yet for now I am newly free, reborn, released to be my beloved family and grandchildren once again.
I now know those wise voices of reassurance were right, my close relationship with my young granddaughters has held strong despite months of enforced separation were right. The ties that bind us are as tight as ever. Now it feels as if time simply stood still for a second, not for months on end.
Everything around me is returning to 'normal'. As from July 24th face masks are compulsory in shops and enclosed public spaces, although with numerous exemptions. Otherwise with each passing week more is open. Swimming pools, gyms and leisure centres have now opened their doors, although I , once an avid gym bunny , will continue to avoid them literally like the plague.
The Government is encouraging people to return to their workplaces, creating conflict between employers and employees in many businesses where offices remain shut/not Covid secure or where employees would prefer to remain working from home especially if the commute is long/ uses public transport.
This rallying cry to boost our dire economy is in surreal stark conflict with the original message to stay at home. Consequently division is emerging daily about the hows, whys and wherefores of keeping safe and keeping society afloat in the face of a looming economic crisis and fears of a 'second wave'.
It saddens me that this division is causing distress privately and publicly, locally, nationally and deep down amidst many families. That original message was so strong, so cohesive, so unifying. Emerging from lockdown in contrast has been messy, scary, uneven, chaotic and confusing.
And yet for me despite everything these last few weeks have brought such happiness. The sheer joy of reunions with family. That amazing overwhelming feeling of pure love gazing into my granddaughters eyes once again. Wonderful times to cherish forever.
I have made new memories in these precious weeks of rediscovering my life. I am growing more confident in myself. I am learning to let go of fear and enjoy what I have now with a full heart. I am liberated, loving the everyday ordinariness of my family and friends around me. Long may it continue.

No comments:
Post a Comment