Thursday, 4 June 2020

Threads


Threads

It is now June. My locked-down life is unchanged. Yet the country is looking very different now. The strong web we all toiled and spun together to hold us safely has broken. Threads have floated away, people have sailed out into different directions, into the unknown.


Threads drift off taking people to work, to school, to play sports, to reunite with friends and family. I am not one of them. I am one of those still clinging to the web. Waiting.

Waiting for what? Good question. Who knows. Waiting with my loved ones to see what lies out there in the unknown before we take off  into it.

There is too much conflicting information. The Government s sudden relaxation of lockdown rules despite our high risk level and death rate has met with criticism from all around.  

Scientists have condemned the speed with which the UK is easing lockdown:

    "Five scientific advisers warned it is too risky to begin easing lockdown measures in England. As temperatures soar this weekend, the R is still dangerously close to 1 (it is currently estimated to be between 0.7 and 0.9) and incidence of the virus is still high. Five Sage experts warned that relaxing lockdown restrictions at this time risked a second surge. Their concerns were shared by the mayors of London and Greater Manchester, and by the deputy chief medical officer for England, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, who said: “This is a very dangerous moment”. He said the R will only stay below 1 if people continue to adhere to physical distancing as the lockdown eases and people play their part to ensure the contact tracing system works well."
The Guardian May 30th

Statisticians have argued the Government is massaging the figures especially with regard to testing. Sir David Norgrove, the Chairman of the UK Statistics Authority, wrote a critical public letter addressed to Health Secretary Matt Hancock stating 'the presentation of figures on testing to show the largest possible number is at the expense of understanding'. June 2nd.

Sir Kier Starmer, Labour Leader, aptly accused Boris Johnson of 'winging it ' amid daily demands for an inquiry on pandemic strategies, past, present and future. 

The PM has little answers but in return ends the daily press briefing, citing low audience figures. What is this, a gameshow? What it is universally understood to be is a bid to avoid increasing scrutiny. However, as this Government has a massive majority, it can and does do whatever it wants.

Dominic Cummings remains in post , terrifyingly indestructible, no doubt having a laugh at his genius strategy of playing the fool with his 'testing my eyesight' quip. Better to be treated as a clown rather than as a serious threat.  He wins. We lose. 

As the structure of our close knit web breaks down, multi media images of happy family reunions flood the airways. Smiles of pure joy surround me. Friends recount with such excitement the exhilaration of newly allowable bbqs, picnics on the beach. Has social distancing really been adhered to? It is not my business to ask.  I am enveloped by envy. 

Barbara Seymour and family in her garden.


My family adhere to the truth of science. There is not enough reassurance that it is safe, even safe enough, to meet in a way which can ensure everyone's safety especially when small children are involved in the equation.  For now, everyone remains working from home  and we remain separate,  continuing as we have done to stay safe. The risk is deemed too high. 

This country has been torn apart in the last few weeks. Economic necessity, desperation, lack of information, the sheer overwhelming urgency to escape the loneliness and isolation of lockdown, whatever the reason, those leaving the web multiply by the day.

As workplaces and schools open across England and queues gather outside Ikea and MacDonalds, MPs form an orderly if extremely long queue to vote in Parliament to end the temporary virtual system.  


This is not to deny those who have always been out there working for our greater good, you have my thanks, my admiration, from the delivery drivers to the doctors, I wonder, does this new normal feel as strange to those who were never locked down as it does to the rest of us.


This has been the week that angry protests surged across the world in intentional outrage at the assassination of George Floyd, the black man murdered by Police in Minneapolis . In the US President Trump, facing a perfect storm of recession, coronavirus and this uprising of the 'Black Lives Matter' movement , threatens to bring in the national guard.  

This photo, his call to arms for 'law and order'  feels me with horror. Thankfully others too , it has been universally condemned as encouraging white supremacy, one small mercy. 

George Floyd death: Trump's church visit shocks religious leaders ...


Businesses and individuals are speaking out in favour of change. As I write there is no sign of protests ending , here in London thousands gathered yesterday in support of the movement. Socially distanced. No. But I have no right to judge. I have not walked in their shoes.

I am an insignificant observer to this weeks momentous events, large and small. I wish the protesters well in every sense of the word. I hope the dramatic shifts in the landscape of our worlds, large and small settle calmly into a solid foundation so we can step forward together. 

As the cohesion of the UKs weeks of lockdown vanishes, my own life stays the same. I wait to see my granddaughters until we know more about the risks. I wait to visit my loved ones further afield until the rules allow us to stay overnight in the small property we own there. Which is probably now so overgrown we ll never find it under the undergrowth. 

To distract from anything concrete the Government floats random wish list dates for foreign holidays to restart,  whilst also putting in, finally, a quarantine for those returning to the UK. Three months too late. 

Tourist boards here are torn between encouraging visitors and judging them for mess, crowds and damage. The fact that no one is actually supposed to be going anywhere yet that is never actually mentioned.

I listen endlessly to news for any sign of optimism but none is forthcoming , Day after day I make myself carry on. I get up and go running.  Since the first weeks of lockdown running has been my solace.  It reminds me to breath, to stay alive.

Despite all my desires to break free, to fling caution to the winds, to fly away and see where my thread takes me, I fight the impulse because of reason and rationale. I cannot deny the fact that at present science and politics are at odds and we are caught in the middle. I prefer to trust in science. 

So I must reluctantly hold on tightly to the web we span so trustingly months ago, longing to free myself from the prison of its cocoon but knowing it is not yet time to let go.

I am exhausted searching for hope. I am tired with endlessly seeking for the right way forward. I am worn out, wrung out, wretched. I just have to carry on. Running daily underneath the timeless South Downs. Their majestic beauty conveys a silent reassurance. This time too  will pass.   





No comments:

Post a Comment

Christmas 2020 style

  Christmas 2020 style. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. For 2020 it was the best it could have been.  Tier 4 came into ...